Code4Lib 2010 Conference Proposal: Asheville, NC
The City and Environs
Asheville is a small vibrant city nestled in the mountains of western North Carolina.
Its charming, eclectic, compact downtown area is populated by brew pubs, a lively art scene, music
venues, hippies and bohemians, a rich and preserved architectural diversity, locally-owned shops, street musicians, coffee houses, boutiques
and a vast array of distinctive restaurants for every palate and wallet. All of this contributes to a vivacious and edgy energy that makes a
visit to this mountain city unforgettable.
There are also a couple of unique ways to take in Asheville's environs:
Visit our Google map
for a sample of a few of the amenities that Asheville has to
- 5200 square foot ballroom available for the primary presentation space (included)
- Four additional breakout rooms, two with 1300 and two with 1200 square feet (included)
- Hospitality Suite that can serve as the conference's base of operations (included)
- Audio-visual and other technology will be supplied by the partner schools (ASU, UNCA, WCU).
- The cost of food will be handled with conference money (hotel serves locally grown/raised)
- Conference rate (up to 225 rooms): $119 per night (free wifi in room and throughout hotel)
- Community: With a total of only 280 rooms in the hotel it will be like the "Code4Lib Hotel"
- The hotel is conveniently located downtown and has an indoor pool, jacuzzi, and exercise room
- There is a free 24 hour business center and the hotel has plenty of free parking right behind it
Additional Hotels (but with our great deal, you won't need them)
- Interstate 40 - A major east/west interstate highway which connects to I-85 and
- Interstate 26 - A regional east/west-north/south highway serving TN, SC, and NC
Weather in February
- We are committed to keep the registration fee for Code4Lib 2010 at $120 or less, with a goal of no more than $100.
Local Organizing Committee
- Kevin S. Clarke (Coordinator of Web Services)
- Lynne D. Lysiak (Coordinator of Systems & Technology Services)
- Jodi A. Schneider (Web Librarian)
- Robert Bland (Associate University Librarian for Technical Services)
- Gillian Ellern (Systems Librarian)